Are you ready for the best Einkorn brownies recipe ever? These brownies are soft, chewy, and full of chocolate goodness. They are also made with Organic All-Purpose Einkorn Flour, which is an ancient grain that has a lower gluten content and a higher nutritional value than modern wheat flour. Einkorn flour gives these brownies a nutty flavor and a tender texture. Plus, chocolate is a great source of antioxidants and mood-boosting compounds, so you can enjoy these brownies knowing there is some good nutritional value in them. Whether you need a dessert for a special occasion or a treat for yourself, these Einkorn brownies will satisfy your sweet tooth and make you happy.
Einkorn is an ancient grain that has been cultivated for thousands of years. It is the original wheat that humans first ate and it has not been hybridized or modified like modern wheat. Einkorn has a nutty flavor and a lower gluten content than regular wheat. It is also rich in protein, fiber, and antioxidants, making it a healthy and delicious choice for baking and cooking. Our small family farm and mill, Grand Teton Ancient Grains, has Organic All-Purpose Einkorn Flour that is made from 100% organic Einkorn berries that are stone-ground to preserve their flavor and nutrients. You can use it to make bread, cakes, cookies, pancakes, brownies, and more. Try our Organic All-Purpose Einkorn Flour today and discover the difference of ancient grains!
Before you start making these delicious Double Chocolate Einkorn Brownies, you need to gather the ingredients. Here are the ingredients you will need and why they are important for making the best brownies ever.
- Einkorn flour: This is the main ingredient that gives the brownies their structure and texture. Einkorn flour is an ancient grain that has a lower gluten content and a higher nutritional value than modern wheat flour. It also has a nutty flavor that compliments the chocolate well.
- Cocoa powder: This adds the rich chocolate flavor and dark brown color to the brownies. Cocoa powder is also a good source of antioxidants and minerals that can benefit your health and mood. So these brownies really can make you happy!
- Salt: This enhances the flavor of the brownies and balances out the sweetness. Salt also helps to activate the baking powder and improve the texture of the brownies.
- Butter: This adds moisture, richness, and tenderness to the brownies. You can use salted or unsalted butter depending on your preference.
- Sugar: This sweetens the brownies and makes them chewy. Sugar also helps to create a shiny crust on top of the brownies. In this recipe we use a combination of white and brown sugar to add depth to the flavor of the brownies.
- Eggs: These bind the ingredients together and provide structure and stability to the brownies. Eggs also add some protein and fat to the brownies, making them more satisfying and adding nutritional value. We recommend using room temperature eggs because they will mix better with the rest of the batter.
- Chocolate chips: These add some extra chocolate goodness and texture to the brownies. Chocolate chips also melt in your mouth when you bite into them, creating a heavenly sensation. You can use semi-sweet, milk, or dark chocolate chips depending on your preference.
Here are some tips and tricks to make your Double Chocolate Einkorn Brownies even a little bit better:
- Enhance the flavor: We have already added salt to enhance the chocolate flavor but there are a few other flavor enhancers you can try. Add a little bit of cinnamon and/or cayenne pepper for a little bit of a flavor zing. You can also add espresso powder for a chocolate espresso flavored brownie. If you prefer a darker chocolate then you can use dark chocolate chips and dark chocolate cocoa powder. I personally love vanilla extract so I will add that to just about anything, including these brownies.
- Use different flavored chips: You can add different flavored chips like mint, caramel, or peanut butter chips to add another layer of flavor to these brownies.
- Don’t over mix: When you add the flour, be careful not to overmix the batter. Mix just until you don’t see any dry flour. Then use a spatula the scrape the edges and the bottom of the bowl to make sure you don’t have any dry ingredients stuck to the bowl. If you find some then mix again just to incorporate those ingredients in, but no more.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes: Einkorn flour takes a little more time to absorb the liquids than other types of flour so don’t skip this step. Once the dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet ingredients, let it sit for at least 10 minutes. After it sits, give it a quick mix before putting the batter in the pan.
- Use parchment paper: Brownies can stick to the pan, especially around the edges. Line the brownie pan with parchment paper and let is extend out for handles to make it easy to get the brownies out. Let the brownies cool a little and then use the parchment paper to lift the whole pan of brownies out and onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
Now you know how to make the most amazing Double Chocolate Einkorn Brownies from scratch. These brownies are perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a party, a potluck, or a cozy night in with just the family. We hope you enjoy these brownies as much as we do.
Double Chocolate Einkorn Brownies
- 1 ¼ Cups Organic All-Purpose Einkorn Flour
- 1 Cup Butter melted
- 1 ¼ Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Cocoa
- 4 Large Eggs
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips Milk chocolate or semi sweet work great
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar, brown sugar, cocoa, eggs, and salt. Mix until combined.
- Add the All-Purpose Einkorn Flour to the butter and sugar mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Let the brownie mixture sit for 10 minutes to give the einkorn flour a chance to absorb the moisture. Then mix the brownie mixture again and spread it into a greased baking dish (9 by 9", 7 by 12", or 9 by 13")
- After spreading the brownie mixture into a baking dish, sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the batter.
- Bake in a preheated, 350-degree oven, for 30 - 40 minutes depending on the size of your baking dish. I used a 9" by 9" pan and baked my brownies for 40 minutes. If you are using a 9" by 13" pan then the brownies will be thinner so you will need to cook them for less time. Check them at 30 minutes.
- Take the brownies out of the oven when the edges are slightly crispy and the middle is soft but not soupy. Let the brownies sit for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Jill Baird is the blogger and baker behind The Carefree Kitchen. She loves experimenting with flavors in the kitchen. She loves to celebrate life with friends and family, and of course, great food! She loves grilling, baking, cooking and putting her own spin on all the classics. Check out more of her recipes at thecarefreekitchen.com.
Please let us know how your Double Chocolate Einkorn Brownies turned out and share your feedback with us in the comments below.
If you love this recipe then you might also want to try these other recipes:
Remember to share your Ancient Grains creations with us on social media using the hashtag #AncientGrainsRecipes and #GrandTetonAncientGrains. We can’t wait to see your culinary eye candy as you capture and share the beauty of your nutritious creations.