Sourdough Einkorn Crackers with Homemade Pesto
You've had the wheat thin, but have you ever had a sourdough wheat thin? Delicious cracker for dipping in pesto or anything you like!
- 1 1/2 Cups Hot Tap Water
- 3/4 Cup Melted Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp Real Salt
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 6 Cups Organic Whole Grain Einkorn Flour
- 2 Cups Sourdough Start
- 1 Cup Grated Cheddar Cheese (Optional)
- 1 Cup Fresh Basil Slightly Packed *See Notes
- 1/4 Cup Avocado Oil
- 2 Small Cloves Garlic or 1 Large Clove Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Pine Nuts or Sunflower Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Real Salt
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- To get coarse flour, blend 6 cups of einkorn berries in a blender (Blend 2-3 cups at a time for 60-90 seconds)
- Thoroughly mix first five ingredients and 4 cups of flour.
- Add sourdough start and mix.
- Add remaining flour until right consistency. It should be one mass pulled completely away from sides of bowl and should not be sticky.
- Let rest in warm place for 4-6 hours.
- Roll out dough as thin as possible. Cut into a few large rectangles. (For cheese cracker variation, knead graded cheese into the dough before rolling out.)
- Place 1-2 rectangles on hot griddle at a time. Once you’ve laid one down, salt the side that’s facing up.
- When it’s starting to bubble slightly and is ready to flip, fork the whole thing thoroughly.
- Flip over and, while still on griddle, cut into little squares with a pizza cutter.
- Once both sides have browned a little, place on cookie rack to cool. (See above picture for example of correct coloring).
- Let cool completely before serving or storing in airtight container.
- Blend all ingredients in food processor or blender until desired consistency.
*In place of 1 Cup Fresh Basil you can use 1 Cup Spinach and 3 drops Basil Essential Oil These are crackers. If they are not cooked long enough or not allowed to cool long enough, they will be chewy instead of crunchy.