These Spelt Pumpkin Bars with Maple frosting are the perfect fall dessert. Sweet, soft with all the warmth of pumpkin spice that everyone craves this time of year.
There are a few things that make these Spelt Pumpkin Bars the perfect fall treat. First, They pack all of the fall flavors we could ask for into one delicious morsel, Pumpkin Spice and Maple frosting! Second, they are so easy to make. All you have to do is mix the batter in one bowl and pour it into the pan and bake. No tedious scooping or shaping. Third, they are so yummy!
Do yourself a big favor and whip these up for your next Fall family get-together.
Ingredients For Spelt Pumpkin Bars
Pumpkin – We used canned pumpkin, if you want to use fresh or frozen, be sure to cook it down for a while so there is no exes water
Butter – Using butter as the fat usually produces the richest flavor and texture
Sugar – We like to use healthier alternatives to cane sugar such as coconut sugar
Eggs – Important for the structure of the bars
Vanilla – Adds awesome flavor
Spelt Berries – Mill your Spelt berries as finely as you can, our Mockmill 200 does an amazing job
Baking Soda & Baking Powder – Crucial for the texture of the Pumpkin Bars
Cinnamon – This is a super important element for the fall flavor
Salt – Enhances flavor
Chocolate Chips – Mini Chocolate chips seem to work best with the texture of these Spelt Pumpkin Bars
How to Make Spelt Pumpkin Bars
As we said, this dish is super simple to make. While your oven is pre-heating to 350°, Start by beating together the Pumpkin, butter and sugar. Next, you’ll add the Vanilla and Eggs and then mix again. The last step for the batter is to add all of the dry ingredients.
After you have the batter mixed up, pour it all onto a greassed cookie sheet and bake for around 22 minutes. While it’s baking, you can mix up the frosting.
For the maple frosting, measure the butter, sugar and cream into a saucepan and heat until it comes to a boil Allow the mixture to boil for two minutes. Remove from heat and add the maple syrup and powdered sugar, mixing well to ensure that there are no lumps.
Once the Spelt Pumpkin Bars have cooled sufficiently, spread the frosting over the whole pan of pumpkin bars. Cut the the bars into whatever size you want and enjoy!
More Recipes from Grand Teton Ancient Grains!
Need a few more ideas for meals or desserts this autumn? Give these a try!
- Khorasan Pumpkin Cookies with Browned Butter Cinnamon Frosting
- While-Grain Spelt Breadsticks
- Apple Pie with Einkorn Crust
- Einkorn Cinnamon Breadsticks
Spelt Pumpkin Bars with Maple Frosting
- 1 ½ cups canned pumpkin
- 1 ½ cups butter
- 1 ½ cups coconut sugar We use coconut sugar to make it a bit healthier, but you can use brown sugar instead
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 450 grams Spelt flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 bag mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup cream
- 1 cup sugar*
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the pumpkin, softened butter, and coconut sugar and mix thoroughly. Add eggs and vanilla and mix. Stir in the dry ingredients, mixing until well incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread batter evenly over a greased cookie sheet. Bake for about 22 minutes.
- Mix butter, cream, and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat slowly, stirring often. Bring to a boil and let boil for 2 minutes. Take off the heat and add maple syrup and powdered sugar, whisking until all sugar is mixed in well. Spread over the top of the pumpkin bars.