Indulge in the irresistible combination of whole grain goodness and natural sweetness with this Whole Grain Einkorn Blueberry Pancakes recipe. Made with the ancient grain Einkorn and bursting with juicy blueberries, these pancakes are a delightful treat for any time of day. Discover the rich history of Einkorn, the benefits of whole grains, and why these pancakes deserve a special place on your plate.
The Legacy of Einkorn
Einkorn wheat has been nourishing civilizations for thousands of years. This ancient grain, with its rich heritage, remains virtually unchanged since its domestication. Einkorn gets its name from the German term meaning “single grain,” reflecting its unique characteristic of having only one grain per husk. As a true relic of the past, Einkorn offers a distinct nutty flavor and a fascinating nutritional profile.
The Wholesome Power of Whole Grains
Whole grains are essential for a balanced diet, and Einkorn is no exception. Unlike refined flour, whole grain flour retains its bran and germ which are packed with fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. By incorporating whole grains like Einkorn into your meals, you support digestion, heart health, and weight management. With whole grain Einkorn flour as the star of this pancake recipe, you’ll savor a satisfying meal that nourishes your body.
Blueberries: Nature’s Sweet Gems
Delight your taste buds and boost your health with the natural goodness of blueberries. These vibrant berries are packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, making them a nutritional powerhouse. From supporting brain health to enhancing immunity, blueberries offer a range of benefits. Combined with the wholesomeness of Einkorn flour, they create a delightful burst of flavor and nutrients in your pancakes.
Whole Grain Einkorn Blueberry Pancakes: A Wholesome Delight
Get ready to indulge in a delightful culinary experience with this Whole Grain Einkorn Blueberry Pancakes recipe. Crafted with care and brimming with wholesome ingredients, these pancakes are a guilt-free treat that will leave you satisfied and nourished. Whether you’re craving a quick and nutritious breakfast, a leisurely brunch, or breakfast for dinner, these fluffy pancakes are sure to become a favorite on your plate.
Preparing these pancakes is a breeze. Simply gather the ingredients, mix them together, and cook them to golden perfection on a griddle or stovetop. Find the detailed recipe below and get ready to savor every mouthwatering bite.
Freshly Milled Einkorn Flour
Here at Grand Teton Ancient Grains we love using wholesome and healthy ingredients like Einkorn and fresh blueberries. That’s why we offer fresh milled Organic Whole Grain Einkorn Flour right here on our website. We mill your whole grain flour here on our small family farm so it arrives at your home fresh and ready to use! We also sell whole Einkorn Berries that you can mill yourself for the freshest flour possible.
Whole Grain Einkorn Blueberry Pancakes by Savor the Best
- 1 3/4 Cups Organic Whole Grain Einkorn Flour (168 grams)
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar or Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs Slightly Beaten
- 1 1/4 Cups Almond Milk Or Milk of Your Choice
- 3 Tbsp Light Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Fresh or Frozen Blueberries
Blueberry Lemon Syrup
- 6 Cups Fresh or Frozen Blueberries
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Lemon Zest Strips from 1 Lemon
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Oil
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt with a fork
- In a small bowl mix together the eggs, milk, and oil with the fork.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir with the fork until just moistened.
- Gently fold in the blueberries. (See notes)
- Heat a skillet or shallow frying pan on medium heat and grease it with a little oil or butter.
- For each pancake, pour about 1/4 Cup of the batter onto the pan. Wait for the bubbles to form on top (3 to 4 minutes).
- When the bubbles cover the whole surface of the pancake and the opposite side is golden brown, flip the cake and cook the other side until golden brown (about 2 minutes).
- In a medium size saucepan, combine the blueberries and the water. Bring just to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Pour the blueberries through a sieve set over a bowl, pressing down on the blueberries, mashing and stirring to extract the juices. Discard the solids and measure the liquid. It should be about 3 cups of juice, if not, add enough water to equal 3 cups.
- Return the blueberry juice to the saucepan. Add the sugar, salt, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon oil and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar. Boil the mixture over medium-high heat until it registers 225°F on a candy thermometer, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and discard the lemon zest strips. Add the butter and the vanilla and stir to incorporate well. Allow the syrup to cool and pour it into a one-pint mason jar.
- This syrup makes about 2 cups and will keep, refrigerated, for up to 6 months.
- It is very easy to over-measure flour if you use measuring cups. You will have more success if you use a scale to measure your flour.
- Often times the batter will become streaked purple from the blueberry juices, especially if you use frozen blueberries. If you want to avoid this then don't fold the blueberries into the batter. Instead, pour the batter onto the griddle and then sprinkle some blueberries on top of each pancake.
Please let us know how your Whole Grain Einkorn Blueberry Pancakes turned out and share your feedback with us in the comments below. Tell us what toppings and syrups you love on yours.
If you love this recipe then you might also want to try these other recipes:
- Apple Cinnamon Einkorn Pancakes
- Einkorn Lemon Blueberry Scones
- Einkorn Naturally Leavened Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Remember to share your Ancient Grains creations with us on social media using the hashtag #AncientGrainsRecipes and #GrandTetonAncientGrains. We can’t wait to see your culinary eye candy as you capture and share the beauty of your nutritious creations.