In times of crisis, having a well-stocked food storage can be a lifesaver. Natural disasters, economic downturns, and other unexpected events can disrupt the food supply chain and leave you and your family without access to basic necessities. That’s why it’s essential to have a reliable source of food on hand, and one of the best foods to store for long-term emergency use is grains.
Of all the foods we can store, grains are one of the few foods designed by God to last a very long time, when stored properly. They were used by ancient civilizations like the Egyptians as a staple food source, and even thousands of years later, grains were found in Egyptian tombs. At Grand Teton Ancient Grains, we offer a variety of organic ancient grains that are perfect for long-term storage, including Einkorn, Emmer, Spelt, Khorasan, Rye, Hard White Wheat, and White Quinoa.
Whether you’re a seasoned prepper or simply want to buy in bulk for the cost benefit, we hope we can provide you with the information and resources you need to create a reliable food supply for yourself and your loved ones.
The Unique Benefits of Storing Grains
When it comes to long-term food storage, grains are one of the most versatile and beneficial foods to have on hand. Unlike many other types of food that require refrigeration or special handling, grains can be stored in a variety of ways and still maintain their nutritional value and taste.
Here are some key benefits of storing grains:
- High nutritional content: Grains are an excellent source of carbohydrates, protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, making them an essential component of a healthy diet. They can be used to make a variety of nutritious and delicious dishes.
- Long shelf life: Grains have been used as a staple food source for thousands of years, and they have been proven to last for decades when stored properly. This means that you can purchase grains in bulk and store them for long periods of time, ensuring that you always have a reliable source of food on hand.
- Cost-effective: Grains are relatively inexpensive compared to other types of food, and when purchased in bulk, they can be stored for a fraction of the cost of pre-packaged emergency food kits. Storing grains is a practical way to build a food storage plan that won’t break the bank.
Overall, storing grains is a smart and practical choice for anyone who wants to be prepared for the unexpected. With their high nutritional value, long shelf life, cost-effectiveness, and versatility, grains are a reliable and essential component of any long-term food storage plan.
How to Store Organic Grains Long-Term
Proper storage is crucial for maintaining the quality and nutritional value of grains over an extended period.
Here are some best practices to ensure the longevity of your grains:
- Use airtight containers: Grains should be stored in airtight containers to prevent moisture, air, and pests from entering. Airtight containers such as our Super Pails provide an extra layer of protection against external elements.
- Keep it in a cool, dry place: Grains should be stored in a cool, dry place with a consistent temperature, preferably between 50-70°F without direct sunlight. Avoid storing grains in areas with high humidity or fluctuating temperatures, such as garages.
- Rotate your stock: Incorporate your grains into your regular meals. This ensures the freshness of your grains, and rotates your stock regularly. Use the first-in, first-out (FIFO) method to ensure you are using the oldest grains first and avoid waste. On a monthly or annual basis, buy in bulk to save money while replacing the grain storage you have used with new, fresh grains.
- Store whole grains instead of flour: Whole wheat berries are the intact, unprocessed kernels of wheat and can be stored for many years. Flour is a finely ground powder that is more susceptible to oxidation and moisture. Flour can not be stored long-term and will go rancid in a matter of months.
- Use our Super Pails for long-term storage: Our Super Pails are specifically designed to prevent these problems. We put our organic grain in a 4.3MIL mylar bag with a 2000CC oxygen absorber. Then we place it in a white HDPE (food grade) bucket with a sealed lid for another layer of protection, and for easy handling and storage. This combination maintains the freshness of our organic grain, reduces moisture, and prevents pests. In Super Pails our organic ancient grains last up to 30 years!
We have tested baking and sprouting grains that were properly stored for more than 10 years. The grains baked and sprouted well. Remember, properly stored organic grains can last for years – even decades – providing a cost-effective, versatile, and nutritious staple for your family’s long-term food storage needs.
Peace of Mind Comes with Having a Well-Stocked Food Storage
In times of crisis or uncertainty, having a reliable source of food is essential. A well-stocked food storage can provide peace of mind and security, knowing that you and your family will not go hungry. With a variety of organic grains available for long-term storage, you can ensure that your food storage is versatile and nutritionally balanced. In addition, having a food storage can also help you save money by buying in bulk and avoiding price fluctuations in the market.
Investing in a food storage not only prepares you for unexpected situations but also promotes self-sufficiency and independence. In case of a natural disaster or other emergency, you will be able to take care of your family without relying on external resources. Furthermore, having a well-stocked food storage can also bring a sense of comfort and satisfaction, knowing that you are taking care of your loved ones’ needs with healthy organic grains.
Explore Our Selection of Organic Ancient Grains Packaged for Long-Term Storage
Long-term food storage is an essential aspect of emergency preparedness and can provide a sense of security during times of uncertainty. By using different types of organic grains such as wheat, rye, quinoa, and other ancient grains, you can ensure that you have access to nutritious and versatile food options for extended periods. It’s important to remember that flour can’t be stored for long periods like whole grains can, and fresh-milled organic grains are better for you anyway.
At Grand Teton Ancient Grains, we offer a variety of organic grains in Super Pails for maximum long-term storage. By having a well-stocked food storage, you can have peace of mind knowing that you and your family will have access to nutritious organic food during any emergency. Visit AncientGrains.com today to explore our selection of organic grains for long-term storage.