This Einkorn Almond Pear Cake is a celebration of the fall harvest, when pears are at their peak of ripeness and flavor. It’s a simple and rustic cake that showcases the natural sweetness and juiciness of the fruit, enhanced by a nutty and slightly sweet Einkorn flour base, and a rich and decadent brown butter bourbon sauce.
This recipe is made with All-Purpose Einkorn Flour instead of regular white flour. Einkorn is an ancient variety of wheat that has not been hybridized or modified. It does have gluten but it is a different gluten than modern wheat and it’s easier to digest for some people. It also has more nutrients, such as zinc, iron, and magnesium, than regular wheat flour. Einkorn flour gives this cake a tender and moist crumb and a slightly nutty flavor.
Most of the ingredients in this recipe are things you probably already have in your cupboards. And the instructions are simple enough that anyone can make this delicious cake. Here is what you will need to make your Einkorn Almond Pear Cake:
- Butter: Is used to grease the cake pan and add richness to the cake batter. It mixes with the brown sugar to make a caramel like candy on the top of the cake.
- Brown Sugar: Adds sweetness to the top of the cake and to the bourbon sauce
- Fresh Ripe Pears: Provide natural sweetness and a fresh flavor to the cake
- Almond Flour: Adds protein and moisture to the cake, as well as a delicate almond flavor that compliments the pears.
- Organic All-Purpose Einkorn Flour: Provides a wholesome and nutty flavor, and is a healthier alternative to modern wheat as it is richer in nutrients and has a lower gluten content
- Salt: Enhances the flavor of the other ingredients
- Baking Powder: Is a leavening agent that helps the cake rise and become light and fluffy
- Baking Soda: Is also a leavening agent that helps the cake to rise and adds tenderness to the crumb
- Eggs: Provide structure and help to bind the ingredients together. The extra egg white makes a lighter texture and adds stability to prevent collapsing while baking.
- Sugar: Adds sweetness and helps to create a light and fluffy texture
- Vanilla Extract: Adds flavor and aroma to the cake batter
- Light Olive Oil: Adds moisture to the cake batter
- Brown Butter: Adds richness and nuttiness to the sauce
- Heavy Cream: Adds richness and creaminess to the sauce
- Bourbon: Adds depth of flavor and complexity to the sauce.
The Einkorn Almond Pear Cake is what you would call an upside down cake. In this recipe, sliced pears are arranged in the bottom of the cake pan and the cake batter is poured over the top of them. After baking, the cake is turned over onto a serving plate so that the pears are on the top of the cake. This creates a beautiful and delicious presentation.
The brown butter bourbon sauce is a rich and decadent topping for this wholesome cake. The butter is cooked until it is beautifully browned releasing a nutty aroma. The bourbon, brown sugar, and heavy cream are added creating a smooth and syrupy sauce that soaks into the crumb of the cake and adds moisture and richness to every bite. You can drizzle the sauce over the cake when you serve it or put it on the side for guests to enjoy as they please.
This cake is perfect for a cozy fall or winter afternoon, or for a special occasion. It can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature, with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired. It can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.
This Einkorn Almond Pear Cake is a delicious way to enjoy the bounty of the season, and to savor the best of Einkorn flour and almond flour. It’s a simple and satisfying cake that will make your home smell heavenly and make your taste buds happy. Order your All-Purpose Einkorn Flour right here at Grand Teton Ancient Grains.
Einkorn Almond Pear Cake from Savor the Best
For the Topping
- 6 Tbsp Butter Melted
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar Packed
- 3 Ripe Pears
For the Cake
- 1/2 Cup Almond Flour
- 1/2 Cup Organic All-Purpose Einkorn Flour Sifted
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Egg White
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Tbsp Butter Melted
- 3 Tbsp Light Olive Oil
Brown Butter Bourbon Sauce
- 6 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Bourbon
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
For the Topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 inch round cake pan with non-stick spray and line it with parchment paper.
- Pour the melted butter into the pan and swirl the pan around to coat it evenly with the butter. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter.
- Peel the pears, cut them in half and remove the core with a melon baller or spoon. Slice each pear half into 4 wedges. Arrange the pear wedges over the brown sugar mixture in the cake pan. Depending on the size of your pears you may have extra wedges. If you do you can lay them in a second layer on top of the first layer of pears.
For the Cake
- Combine the almond flour, sifted einkorn flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs, egg white, and sugar on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes until thick and pale in color. Add the vanilla, melted butter, and oil and mix until well incorporated.
- Fold in the flour mixture until well combined.
- Pour the batter over the pears.
- Bake at 350°F for 55 to 75 minutes until the cake springs back when lightly pressed.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes then run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake. Flip the cake pan upside down onto a wire rack and gently shake the pan to remove the cake. Peel off the parchment paper and let the cake cool for 1 to 2 hours.
For the Brown Butter Bourbon Sauce
- Place the butter in a large saucepan set over medium heat and let it melt. Swirl the pan occasionally so the butter cooks evenly. First the butter will begin to foam then it will turn from yellow to gold to brown and develop a nutty aroma.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the brown sugar. After the brown sugar is stirred in, add the bourbon and return the pan to the stove. Turn the heat up to medium high and bring the mixture to a boil. Once the mixture boils, remove it from the heat and slowly pour it in the heavy cream. Set it aside to cool down.
- Serve with the cake at room temperature or slightly warm.
- Serve with toasted almond slices and whipped cream if desired.
Please let us know how your Einkorn Almond Pear Cake turned out and share your feedback with us in the comments below.
If you love this recipe then you might also want to try these other recipes:
- Organic Whole Grain Einkorn Coffee Cake
- Einkorn Naturally Leavened Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Einkorn Chocolate Beet Cake
Remember to share your Ancient Grains creations with us on social media using the hashtag #AncientGrainsRecipes and #GrandTetonAncientGrains. We can’t wait to see your culinary eye candy as you capture and share the beauty of your nutritious creations.